A 17th century manor house(known as Roberts House) at Siddington near Cirencester is now the home of the Bowen family.
The house is the new home of flamboyant design guru Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen who moved there in April 2007 with his wife, Jackie, and their two daughters, having decided to risk all and trade their comfortable family town house in London for a "run down, unloved" Cotswold home which they have now sympathetically modernised.
The detached house is a Grade II Listed House, at one time consisted of several separate cottages. Possibly late C16/early C17 wing to east, with large range added mid/late C17 by John Roberts, the well known Quaker who died in 1683; much restored in late 20th century.
Rubble stone, stone slate roof with part of rear internal angle in plain tiles, brick end stacks to main range.
'L'-plan with 2 gables on east side of older section and main front to north-east on later addition, 2 storeys and attic.
Four windows, 2-light leaded stone mullion and transoms to first and ground floors, both with continuous dripmould. Four large gabled dormers with large moulded wooden pediments and twin leaded casements. Four small oval lights in rectangular frames to right hand return.
Projecting rear 2-storey stair tower with 2-light stone mullion and transom to each floor. Older wing to east has large central gable on north side. Door originally to right of this wing, now moved to centre with timber lintel remaining to right. Four-light wood mullion above, and renewed 2-light casement in attic. Scattered metal casements to east side. C17 lead rainwater goods brought from elsewhere. Retains part of original staircase with carved flat balusters.
Interior much altered although sympathetically restored. Very large chamfered beams with carved stops to ground and first floor of Roberts' extension.
Click on links for further details including information about the village of Siddington and the historic house known as 'Roberts House' - John Roberts being the leader of the persecuted Quakers in the mid 1600s.
Sculptor Daniel Chadwick inherited the beautiful Lypiatt Park, a medieval and Tudor manor house in Bisley, near Stroud in the Gloucestershire Cotswolds, in 2003.
His father, Lynn Chadwick, who was also a sculptor bought the house in 1959 and spent nearly 50 years restoring it. He died on 25 April 2003 aged 88 and it is to his foresight that we owe the preservation of the house with the longest history in the area.
The name ‘Lypiatt’ is commonly said to mean a gate over which
but which restrained other stock.
The house has origins as far back as 1220 and one of the first owners was Dick Whittington who became Lord Mayor of London. He is said to have obtained the house due to a default on repayment of a loan of £500 he made to the previous owner Phillip Maunsell.
Lypiatt Park was once the home of Sir John Throckmorton, who was related to the plotters Catesby, Tresham and Winter. The Throckmorton family have links with Coughton Court at Alcester in Warwickshire.
Robert Catesby, leader of the Gunpowder Plot, is believed to have met other members of the plot - Francis Tresham, Thomas Wintour and Guy Fawkes there to finalise plans for blowing up the Houses of Parliament on 5th November 1605.
Lypiatt Park has original medieval turrets and is located in 10 acres of gardens. The house and grounds are currently a Private Estate but Daniel Chadwick has put forward proposals to open to the public an area of the park to create a permanent display for his sculpture collection.
Daniel Chadwick also owns the Woolpack Inn, of Laurie Lee fame, at the village of Slad also near Stroud.
Conceptual artist Jake Chapman liveswith his model wife Rosemary Ferguson near the Cotswold village of Filkins at Furzey Hall Farm, a converted Victorian farmhouse in 9 acres. The couple have totally refurbished the property (which they bought for circa £1.25m in 2006) linking it to the adjacent barn to create one property.
The alterations include the creation of guest accommodation, an open-plan kitchen, dining area and heated swimming pool filled by natural spring water.
Actor, Hugh Grant, bought his Cotswold home in 2003. Melksham Court Court (bought for £2m) is located in the village of Stinchcombe near Stroud and some 20 miles from his former girl friend's home, Liz Hurley, near Barnsley. The stunning property has an added bonus for the golf-mad actor. It’s half a mile away from his favourite course at Stinchcombe Hill.
Melksham Court is a Grade II* listed Manor House circa 16th/17th century; the house of the Tyndale family - from 1561 to 1768 - then the Morse family from that date until early in the C20 is complete with 40 acre estate.
Stinchcombe is a small village in Gloucestershire, on the B4060 road between Dursley and North Nibley. The church is called St Cyr's and its yard contains 40–60 gravestones.
History & Description of Melksham Court at time of sale to Hugh Grant
There has been a house on the site of Melksham Court occupies since 1360. Over the centuries a number of historically important owners have lived in the property and it is believed that William Tyndale, "architect of the English reformation" and translator of the Bible from Latin into English, was born at Melksham Court in 1494.
Thomas Tyndale (died 1671), "a gentleman of the Parliamentary party" was compelled by approaching Royalists to flea from Melksham Court and hide in Stinchcombe Wood for three days. From the safety of a large yew tree, he had the misfortune to see Melksham Court burned to the ground by the Royalists.
The house as we see it today is thought to date from c. 1600 and is of marlstone construction beneath a
stone roof. It is a "very grand version of the Cotswold style" having three unequal gables with mullion windows and later north wing. The interior includes panelling from local notable houses. In recent times the property was in the ownership the former Conservative education minister, the late Sir Keith Joseph.
More recently and during the ownership of Sir Maxwell Joseph (property tycoon and hotelier) sympathetic and extensive improvements were carried out with particular emphasis on the beautiful landscaped formal gardens.
Within the Estate there is a range of outbuildings constructed of a mixture of Cotswold stone and brick with exposed timbers under stone or thatched roofs. These in turn create a lovely setting for the house and are grouped together overlooking the dew pond and towards the house. The Tithe Barn dates from the 18th century and overlooks the dew pond with views back towards the house.
With its impressive Banqueting Hall and Minstrel's Gallery it is currently used as a private banqueting hall but could readily be converted to provide further living accommodation or spectacular home office. Alternatively the Tithe Barn would make an ideal hospitality suite for a diverse range of businesses especially when combined with the amenities and grounds.
One of the principal attractions of the Estate are the most impressive equestrian facilities which are discreetly situated to the north of the house. Comprising a large indoor manège and outdoor arena with an all weather surface and decked viewing gallery. These facilities were onstructed approximately 10 years ago to an exceptional standard at significant cost and are likely to appeal to those with a serious equine interest.
Melksham Court benefits from a cottage and coach house, currently providing staff accommodation, as well as a heated outdoor pool, pool house, artist's studio and hard tennis court.
For more information on this Celeb see - Hugh Grant
He bought in 2004 a Cotswolds retreat, the Victorian Gothic Toddington Manor,
where the full extent of his collections will eventually go on view to the public.
The Manor, a rundown 300 room Gloucestershire mansion that the 43-year-old artist bought for £3million three years ago as a country retreat.
Toddington Manor was built in 1820 in the style of the Houses of Parliament for Charles Hanbury the first Lord Sudeley. Poverty forced the family to sell it in 1894 and since then it has been used as a home for soldiers in World War II and as a school for foreign students. It then stood empty for 20 years falling into disrepair.
The Grade I listed building is undergoing a mammoth restoration job, surrounded by a vast network of scaffolding and swathes of polythene sheeting as the builders go to work - Hirst has set aside a budget of £10 million to complete the works.
Liz Hurley bought a 72 acre Cotswold farm and 3 storey farm house in the hamlet of Ampney Knowle near the Cotswold town of Barnsley, 4 miles north east of Cirencester. The house includes a range of outbuildings and tennis court and cost £2.75m.
The house has two large bay windows to the front overlooking the tennis court and a 200 meter private road leads to the isolated property.
The farm is stocked with Gloucester Cattle, Gloucester Old Spot Pigs, Shetland & Lleyn Sheep and some arable cropping. Both Liz Hurley and her farm manager run the farm and Liz has been seen at Cirencester Market personally selling her Gloucester Old Spot sausages.
This home is now up for sale for £6m and she is now moving to Donnington Hall at Ledbury in Herefordshire.
Cotswolds.Info is the World's largest Internet resource for the unique Cotswolds region of England with over 650 webpages of authoriative information so please make use of this facility to help you get
the most from your visit to this website.
Celebrities Cotswold Homes
This page last modified
Wednesday, 22-Apr-2015 17:17:09 BST
Cotswolds.Info LLP, 110 High Street Broadway Worcestershire Cotswolds England UK WR12 7AJ
Managing Partner, Richard Pinder, Tel 01386 711518 E-Mail email@example.com