WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
WWT Slimbridge is one of nine wetland centres across the UK, founded by Sir Peter Scott in 1946. Now a world-renowned reserve for waterbirds set in 120 acres. Its new £6.2m visitor centre houses a wildlife art gallery, The Hanson Discovery Centre, the Waterside Restaurant, a cinema and the Sloane Observation Tower (which provides the best view of the Severn in the whole of Gloucestershire). Wild swans from Russia come every winter and all six types of flamingos delight the crowds in Summer.
1. Visitor Centre 2. Sloane Tower 3. Waters Edge Restaurant 4. Big Pen 5. South Lake 6. Lesser & Greater Flamingo's 7. South Finger Hides 8. Summer walkway 9. The Rushy 10. Sustainable Garden 11. Play Area 12. The Crane School 13. The Duckery 14. The Reserve
A great day out
With an astounding array of wildlife from Water Voles to waders, hares to dragonflies, Slimbridge is home to the world's largest collection of swans, geese, and ducks. It is also the only place in the world where you can see all six species of Flamingo.
The vision of Sir Peter Scott, Slimbridge holds international significance as the headquarters of the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT) and it is here that the world renowned experts of WWT Consulting and Species Conservation are based.
This leading conservation reserve of 325 hectares of internationally protected wetlands including a Site of Specific Scientific Interest (SSSI) a Ramsar Site and Special Protection Area (SPA) is managed by WWT.
A year round programme of walks, arts, events, workshops, talks and spectacular wildlife encounters are a fantastic way for everyone to connect to their natural surroundings.
The award winner visitor centre, is the perfect place to relax and enjoy Slimbridge. Here you can take a trip to the top of the Sloane Tower for a magnificent 360 degree view of Slimbridge and the Severn Estuary, explore the Hanson Discovery Centre and enjoy wildlife inspired films in the cinema and art in the gallery.
Take time to relax in the Water's Edge Restaurant overlooking the Caribbean Flamingos and find the perfect gift in the WWT shop.
The visitor centre and grounds are also home to activities and events throughout the year. With a diverse programme which encompasses everything from arts and crafts sessions to bird watching, music festivals to farmers markets.
5 things you must do
- Explore the depths of the wild reserve on a Landrover Safari.
- Go behind the scenes with our team to see the ducklings in the nursery.
- Don a disguise to join the Great Crane Project. Visit the new marsh garden where cranes are being reared. Here you can help our team walk the cranes to school or even take part in some of the lessons.
- Meet the Flamingos, Slimbridge is the only place in the world where you can meet all 6 species of flamingo.
- From autumn to spring witness the amazing spectacle of our daily wild bird feeds, as Bewick’s Swans return to Slimbridge after their long journey from Artic Russia in search of warmer weather. Perhaps this year regular visitors such as Crinkly, Teapot and Teabag may return with cygnets.
WWT Slimbridge Wetland Centre
Tel: 01453 891900
Nearest Train Station: Dursley
Nearest UK Airport: Bristol
Months Open: All year (exc Xmas Day)
Discount for Groups: Yes
Admission Price: £6.70
Catering: Restaurant & Picnic areas
WWT Slimbridge is located between Bristol and Gloucester. Follow the signs from M5 (junction 13 or 14). Nearest railway station is Cam/Dursley - a short bicycle or taxi journey away. Also on Sustrans route 41.
Public Transport Directions
Sunday bus service from Gloucester. Train/bus 24hr info line: 01452 425543
- Gift Shop
- In countryside
- No Smoking Attraction
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest
- Outdoor Attraction
- Village Location
- Accessible to Wheelchair Users
- Facilities for the Disabled
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- On Bus Route
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Toilets for Disabled Visitors
- Facilities for children
- Car parking
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- On-Site café/restaurant
- Picnic Site
- Visa accepted
- Available for wedding receptions
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem)
- Conference facilities
- Event venue
- Event Venue
- Family Fun
- Marketed towards children
- Marketed towards families
- Marketed towards senior citizens
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
More information : Slimbridge Wetland Centre