Villages in the Oxfordshire Cotswolds
Asthall in the Windrush Valley has a long history - there was a Roman settlement here on Akerman Street - the roman road linking Cirencester with St. Albans. The village has an interesting church and 17th century manor house, the home of the Mitford sisters and where Nancy Mitford wrote much of
'Love in a Cold Climate'. She is buried at nearby Swinbrook church which has the fine Fettiplace tombs and memorials to the Fettiplace family who lived here for over 300 years.
An historic and attractive large village, its church spire is a famous landmark across the upper Thames valley. The village is famous for its Morris Dancing traditions which still continue. Nearby village of Aston has a church, unusually with eight bells.
For more info see - Bampton.
Situated in the Evenlode Valley, lying on the route of the Oxfordshire Way Walk, Bledington has an attractive village green which still retains its Victorian maypole. Also has an exceptionallly interesting church with magnificent 15th century clerestory. For more info see - Bledington.
A small village with an attractive church of a style more commonly found in the East Anglia part of England rather than the Cotswolds. Two stone pillars are the only evidence of the long vanished manor house that once stood in the village.
For more info see - Broadwell.
A good centre for exploring Oxford and the upper Thames valley and close to Burford and Witney. Nearby is the village of Black Bourton and the lively and bustling Canterton - one of Oxfordshires newest towns serving the RAF Airbase at Brize Norton.
The village of Chadlington is three miles south of Chipping Norton and spreads itself out looking across the River Evenload towards Wychwood Forest. The substantial church of St Nicholas is enriched by a fascinating array of gargoyles. There are good walks in the area.
The Oxfordshire village of Churchill is located close to the county border with Gloucestershire between the towns of Stow-on-the-Wold and Chipping Norton (3 miles south). The village has had a few variations in its name through history, including Cercelle, Churchell, and Cherchell, but the current name dates from 1537.
A stroll around the village can be interesting and at weekends during the summer months, a visit to the Village Heritage Centre will help visitors to understand the local history. The centre contains old maps and village records from the 17th century including some interesting facts about Churchill's two famous son's Warren Hastings (1732 - 1818), the first Governor General of India and a memorial exists to William Smith (1769 – 1839) said to be the "Father of British Geology".
The village church tower of All Saints stands prominent over the North Cotswolds. The tower is a reduced version of Magdalene College, Oxford and forms part of the church built by the village squire, James Haughton Langston, the younger, whose life is remembered in the village by an elaborate fountain. The hammerbeam roof is a copy from Christ Church in Oxford. There also exists in the village an unusual Victorian Gothic fountain.
Clanfield is an attractive village having two greens in the broad acres of the river Thames valley east of Lechlade which makes good farming country.
A stream flows between houses and the High Street.
Ducklington is close to the River Windrush and the main road now bypasses the village. The village has a beautiful pond on the green. The church tithe barn has become the village community hall.
Village memories of life in the 1920's make interesting reading in the writings of Mollie Harris (died October 1995) who grew up here. Mollie Harris also played the character Martha Woodford in The Archers.