Stratford Armouries Ltd,
Gospel Oak Lane,
CV37 0JA. Telephone no: 01789-262468. W: www.stratfordarmouries.co.uk
Stratford Armouries (2 miles from the town centre) is the brainchild of James Wigington.
Stratford Armouries is a museum and visitor centre housing a world-class collection of Arms and Armour. The museum comprises of 4 main galleries and a conference space.
The Museum comprises of:
- An Arms and Armour Gallery – including a Full-Size Armoured Horse which takes centre stage surrounded by 16th and 17th Century Armour and items from the English Civil War.
- An Ethnic Gallery including display of Indian and Persian Talwars and Daggers, as well as Indo-Persian Armour.
- Our Shakespeare Room exhibits Shakespeare souvenirs made by Thomas Sharpe and various Indian Field Guns as well as selection of firearms.
- The 20th Century Gallery which comprises of memorabilia from the First and Second World Wars, the Wellington Aviation Collection and the National Collection of the British Model Soldier Society.
- Restaurant – serving refreshments throughout the day.
Born from James’s extensive experience in the field of antique arms and armour, the complex is set in 86 acres of rolling Warwickshire countryside adjoining the former World War Two RAF training base at Snitterfield Airfield, now a glider club.
The Wigington family have resided in the area for more than 250 years and have always been a family of keen collectors and artists. James Father, the late John Wigington, once had an arms and armour shop in Henley Street, Stratford-Upon-Avon town centre, whereas his late, half brother, Robin Wigington, was an collector and leading authority on the art and weaponry of Tipu Sultan.
Stratford Armouries is proud to be the new home of the Wellington Aviation Collection, which includes the tail-piece of a Wellington Bomber, and the Home of the National Collection from the British Model Soldier Society, a collection which numbers over 10,000 pieces.
10am-5pm – 7 Days a Week
Adult: - £6.50. Children: - £3.50
Group Tours and Discounts are available.